There are sounds around us all of the time. Sometimes there are so many sounds that we often block out what we don't want to hear. Children, especially teenagers, have what I call 'selective hearing'. I think it has something to do with adolescent development. Although it seems to re-occur in some men after marriage. In the book of Revelation we are admonished to "hear what the Spirit saith to the churches". That means that there is a spiritual side of listening to sounds. However, this morning I want us to consider yet another kind of sound in the Bible. Read: Titus 1:9-13 and 2:7-8. Here Paul gives us some of the 'sounds' of which we need to give attention. Sound doctrine, sound faith, and sound speech. In these cases the word 'sound' is not something we hear, but is describing that which is true and uncorrupted.
I. Sound Doctrine is Important. (Titus 1:9)
A. What many are saying today:
1. 'Doctrine divides, so forget about doctrine and focus on Christ'.
2. That is ridiculous: You cannot focus on Christ without focusing on doctrine!
3. He is central to all teaching, and what is taught concerning Him is what determines whether something is true or false doctrine.
B. It is true that doctrine divides:
1. In 2Tim. 4:3, Paul wrote that the time would come when "many will not endure sound doctrine: but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears."
2. We see that clearly today, many people are looking for a social club rather than a church where the Bible is taught and preached.
3. I recently heard a local minister say that he taught his people that heaven was an inclusive community where everyone is welcome. (in reality it has an exclusive membership)
C. Many TV and radio preachers do not want anyone to question or challenge the accuracy of their teaching.
1. Any man who says that no one has a right to question his teaching is a false prophet.
2. A certain individual who had written a book challenging Paul Crouch and his teachings on the Trinity Broadcasting Network was told to take his book and go to hell!
3. Too many self-proclaimed prophets are putting their word above or on the same level as God's Word!
4. That is blasphemous! Jesus said, "Search the Scriptures...they are they which testify of me." cf Jn. 5:39
II. Sound Faith is Important. (Titus 1:13)
A. True faith is dependent upon true doctrine.
1. Faith is an expression of what you believe.
2. What you believe is determined by what you are taught.
3. If the doctrine is wrong, then the faith will often be wrong also.
4. Example: If the doctrine teaches that salvation is dependent upon man's works. Then that man's faith is not in God alone, but in God plus himself. "There is none other name...whereby we must be saved. cf Ac. 4:12
B. Faith that isn't genuine is hypocrisy.
1. Notice that I didn't use the word 'sincere'.
2. There are many people who are very sincere in what they believe, but they are sincerely wrong!
3. Just as God's Word is the measuring rod for what is sound doctrine, it is also the measuring rod for what is sound faith!
C. Sharp rebuke is necessary! v13
1. Who is responsible for promoting sound doctrine and sound faith?
2. It is the local church!
3. Who is responsible for the great amount of confusion and false teaching that is going on? It is the local church!
4. We have refused to speak out for fear of being called judgmental, but God has instructed us to "rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith".
5. We must stand for truth no matter what the cost. God holds us accountable to defend the truth; we are to be soldiers for Christ.
6. That's why we were equipped with armor...because we are in a battle!
III. Sound Speech is Important. (2Tim 1:13)
A. Sound words, speech, and conversation.
1. These have to do with our behavior.
2. Doctrine = Faith = Speech
3. If you want to really know a person just watch how he acts and listen to the things he says.
4. Jesus said, "Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh." Mt. 12:34
B. The example of "religious leaders".
1. The tragedy of a Jim Bakker or a Jimmy Swaggart is this:
2. People condemned them for their unsound behavior, but it was their unsound doctrine and unsound faith that led to what they did!
3. These weren't just men who went wrong morally, these men went wrong doctrinally long before.
4. This world has seen too many folks who go to church on Sunday in their best dressed and on their best behavior.
5. This world needs to see people who sound in doctrine, sound in faith, and sound in speech!
Sound doctrine means the teaching of this Book, sound faith means believing the message of this Book, and sound behavior is living by the principles of this Book. Is that where you are today? If not you need to get things right!
The only salvation that is worth anything is the salvation we have in Jesus Christ and His finished work on Calvary. Do you know Jesus today? If not you need to come and let us introduce you to the Savior.
Whatever your need is today. Come