Many times the questions that are asked before a person will take a job is, "What are the benefits?" In most cases, the benefits are worth more than the wages.
There are many benefits of being a born again child of God. The ultimate benefit is not having to go to hell, and having a home in Heaven for ever and ever. But there is so much more to salvation. It is not just a fire-escape from hell!
Note: Romans 5:1-2
I. Justified by Faith. v1
A. To Justify means:
1. To render just or innocent.
2. When we are justified we have been declared free.
a. Free from the power of sin.
b. Free from the penalty of sin.
c. And, one day, we will be free from the very presence of sin.
3. We have been declared innocent.
a. Innocent in the eyes of God.
b. Innocent in your future actions.
4. We have been declared righteous.
a. Righteous because He is righteous.
b. Righteous because of His righteous- ness.
B. Job Asked This Question.
How then can man be justified with God? or how can he be clean that is born of a woman? Job 25:4
C. Paul Answers Job’s Question. cf Ro. 3:20- 24
1. Jesus Christ is the Justifier; He is the Just One; He is the only one that can Justify us.
2. Why only Christ? Because He is just.
3. Justification can only be rendered by One that is Just.
4. That’s why Paul wrote Vs. 28.
(Rom 3:28) Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.
(Gal 2:16) Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
5. Because we have been justified by faith in Jesus Christ, you have all that goes with Justification.
II. We Have Peace With God. v1
A. The Condition Of Man Reveals His Need For Peace.
1. It is sin that breeds the quarrel between us and God.
2. It creates not only a quarrel but also enmity.
3. Rom 8:7, “Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: ...”
4. Jam 4:4, “... Know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.”
5. Enmity means hostility; hatred, ill will, malignant disposition...to be an enemy.
6. The Holy God cannot be at peace with a sinner continuing in his sin. 7. However, immediately upon the removal of sin, peace with God is made.
B. The Character Of The Peace Of The Justified Man.
1. There is more in this peace than just stopping of enmity.
2. There is a friendship developed with God.
“And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.” (James 2:23)
3. There is also a loving kindness from God to a born again person.
4. God is either your best friend or your worst enemy.
5. God and Moses talked together as friends.
And the LORD spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend. (Ex. 33:11)
C. The Channel By Which Peace Is Brought To Man.
1. Peace is brought to man through our Lord Jesus Christ.
2. Through Jesus Christ our great peacemaker, the mediator between God and man. cf 1 Tim. 2:5
3. Eph 2:14 For He is our peace . . .
4. He is not only the maker of our peace, but the matter and maintenance of our peace.
”And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.” (Col 1:20)
“And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.” (Phil 4:7)
D. The entire quest of mankind in this life is to find and secure peace.
1. That’s why we seek better health.
2. That’s why we have insurance, both life and health.
3. That’s why we often go after the things of this world hoping that they will bring peace to our troubled soul.
4. But, peace only comes from one Source: Being Justified by faith in Jesus Christ.
5. If you don’t have peace of heart today; if you have a constant troubled soul it is because you do not have the peace of Jesus Christ.
III. We Have Access to God. Rom 5:2
A. Because of our State.
1. It is a state of grace.
2. Vs 2 implies that we were not born into the state of having access to God but attain that benefit through being born again.
3. Through sin Adam lost this access to God.
4. Jesus Christ is the author and finisher and principal agent of this access.
5. Faith is the means of this access.
6. The believer has access to the presence of God through the shed blood of Christ.
a. Not by any consideration or any merit of our own.
b. If anyone attempted access by any other way other than through the blood they will be denied entrance into the presence of the Father.
B. Because of our Standing.
1. "Wherein we stand".
2. This is a posture that denotes our discharge from guilt.
3. We stand firm and safe.
4. We are upheld by God's hand.
5. It denotes our confirmation in God's favor.
IV. We Have Hope. Rom 5:2
HOPE - anticipate, usually with pleasure); expectation (abstr. or concr.) or confidence:--faith, hope.
A. Our Hope is for the Future Glory of God.
1. We have that assurance right now at this present time.
2. I’m just as sure of heaven as if I were already there.
3. Only those who have been born again can have that hope, confidence, or assurance.
4. There is no hope or confidence except through the grace of God.
“For the LORD God is a sun and shield: the LORD will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly.” (Psa 84:11)
B. The Future Hope Of Glory Is Sufficient For Present Joy.
1. Those who hope for glory of God hereafter should be rejoicing now.
2. It is a promise for us, and a promise from God always comes to pass.
3. By faith we can collect on that promise today.
a. I rejoice in the fact that I know that I am going to Heaven one day.
b. It is just as sure as if I were already there.
c. Some may say, Preacher, you surely are confident of yourself.”
d. No, I am confident in what the Bible teaches to be the truth.
4. It is our duty as Christians to have confidence in God.
5. We should be rejoicing in the hope of going to Heaven.
6. A lost and dying world needs to see confidence in God's people.
a. The world does not need to see us all the time with our heads down and our chins on the sidewalk.
b. LOOK UP, Your Redeemer draweth nigh.
c. We need to perk up and cheer up and have some joy.
C. Hope Maketh Not Ashamed. v5
1. Hope in Christ will never bring disappointment.
2. Because God will not let us down!
3. Hope in man, our own abilities, or in this world will always bring disappoint- ments!
“The hope of the righteous shall be gladness: but the expectation of the wicked shall perish.” (Prov 10:28)
“In thee, O LORD, do I put my trust: let me never be put to confusion.” (Psa 71:1)
Whether it is a major purchase, a change in jobs, a decision concerning school, to help us make the decision we will consider the benefits. What are the benefits...how will it help me and my family? These are questions we consider with most of the choices we make in life.
The decision that I am challenging you is of eternal importance. Consider the benefits of being born again. Of coming to Christ for salvation.
How can you have all these benefits? Come to Jesus by faith. Accept the finished work of Christ on Calvary as the atonement for your sin and be born again! Christian, are you enjoying all your benefits today? They are here for every child of God to enjoy. Peace, Access, and Hope all because we are Justified by faith.