Read: Jeremiah 37:1-21
Zedekiah had made an alliance with Egypt to rebel against Babylon. Note: v2-3 Zedekiah and the people did not want to listen to the message of Jeremiah, but they wanted him to pray for them. Later they imprisoned Jeremiah falsely charged as a traitor. Now, in v17, Zedekiah comes to him secretly to see if Jeremiah had a message from the Lord. Jeremiah's message had not changed! Babylon would come and be victorious over the king and the city of Jerusalem.
There is always a message from God for those who ask. It may not always be the message we would like to hear, but God always has a word for us. This morning God has a message for you regardless of who you are and what your relationship to Him might be. Let's take a moment this morning to hear the "word from the Lord".
I. The Message to the Unsaved.
"...Prepare to meet thy God." Amos 4:12b
A. If you were to die today, do you know where you would spend eternity?
1. Life is so uncertain, we must prepare for eternity today!
2. Many have put off their preparation thinking that they had plenty of time.
3. James 4:14, "Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away."
B. You can prepare today!
1. Jesus said, "...Except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish." cf Luke 13:5
2. Repent: means to change your thinking about sin and turn from that sin unto God.
3. This can only be accomplished through the new birth.
4. "Ye must be born again!"
5. That was Jesus' message to Nicodemus, and it is still the same for all today who are without Christ.
C. Jesus is coming again!
1. He told His disciples that if He should go away
2. Are you ready to meet Jesus Christ?
3. When He returns, He will return to execute judgement upon this world, if you haven't prepared for eternity, you will be cast into the lake of fire forever and ever.
II. The Message to the Backslidden.
"Return, ye backsliding children, and I will heal your backslidings." Jer. 3:22a
A. The backslidden Christian has forgotten:
1. Where he was before he was saved.
2. Why God saved him.
3. What his goal in life is supposed to be.
4. What would have happened to him if God had not saved him.
5. He has forgotten the mercy and the grace of God!
B. Anyone can backslide!
1. Has there ever been a time when you were more concerned for the lost?
2. Do you find it a chore to read your Bible, pray, witness, and serve?
3. You may be in church every Sunday, you may be a deacon, Sunday school teacher, or even a Pastor and still be backslidden!
C. The cure for backsliding is simple.
1. Come back to God! "Return, ye backsliding children..." Jer. 3:22a
2. With all your heart determine that you are going to serve Him and rededicate your life to Him.
3. What will it take to bring you back to God?
a. For the prodigal son it took rags, hunger, and poverty!
b. For Jonah it took a storm and the belly of a whale!
c. For David it took the death of his newborn son!
d. What will it take for you this morning?
4. Come back to God, that is the message for the backslider today.
III. The Message to the Child of God.
A. Note: Romans 12:1-2
1. I know that these verses are not new to any of us.
2. But knowing what they say and doing what they say are two completely different things!
3. James said that we ought to be doers of the Word and not hearers only! cf Jas. 1:22
B. We are to live lives of consecration.
1. A living sacrifice: a sacrifice had nothing to say about giving its life on the altar.
2. Holy: this means that we are to be separated from sin and unto God for service!
3. This is reasonable service to God, He loved us enough to die for us, we ought to be willing to live our lives for Him.
C. We are to live lives of transformation.
1. Not conformed, or pressed into the mold of this world.
2. But transformed, by the renewing of our minds.
3. Our minds are renewed through the Holy Spirit and the Word of God.
4. The result of a life of consecration:
a. The will of God is known.
b. The will of God is done.
c. The will of God is enjoyed.
Conclusion: Zedekiah asked Jeremiah, "Is there any word from the Lord?" The answer was yes! God is not silent! He has spoken to us through His Word. He has a message for every man, woman, boy and girl here today!
The question is this, Will you listen and heed the message? It may not be the message that you wanted to hear, but it is the message that we all need to hear and obey this morning.
If you are here this morning without Christ, you need to repent and put your faith in Jesus today, there is no time to waste! If you are saved, but you know in your heart that you are backslidden, you need to come back to God now! Don't waste another moment of your life. Christians, give the Lord your life. Turn it over to Him and allow Him to use you in His service as He sees fit. Present yourselves a living sacrifice! Do it today!