Ga 6:9 And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.
Isa 40:31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. While growing up I was introduced to the cruelties of neighborhood children when it came to playing games. I was always the last one chosen to be on a team whether it was softball, football, basketball, or even tag! If I became angry or frustrated and decided to go home the rest of the kids would begin to chant something like this: "Quitter! Quitter! Go home today we don't want you anyway!" That would usually be all that it took to make me determine that I wouldn't quit ... no matter what would happen. I have tried to encourage my boys not to quit, but to finish whatever they start.
Now that I am somewhat older, and perhaps a little bit wiser, I have learned that there are times when we ought to quit. When we find that we are headed in the wrong direction we need to quit!
When we find that we are involved in something that is not in accordance with the will of God for our lives then we ought to quit! There are other times that we may think that we have a right to quit! We grow weary in the work, we aren't appreciated by others, or we feel that we are treated unjustly. Don't quit!
To quit means to give up, to relinquish, to put aside, to discontinue, to cease to perform. It is sad to think of quitting in any situation, but it is doubly sad for those who quit in their service to God! Don't quit!
I. Don't Quit in Prayer.
A. Consider Abraham and Lot (Ge 18:23-33)
1. Lot had chosen the plain of Jordan.
2. Lot pitched his tent toward Sodom.
3. It wasn't long before he and his family was living in the midst of the wickedness of the city.
4. God was ready to destroy the cities because of their grievous sin.
B. Abraham began to intercede.
1. He prayed and asked God if He would spare the city if Abraham could find 50 righteous within the city.
2. God agreed and Abraham continued to bargain with God concerning the righteous.
3. He went from 50 to 45 then 40 then 30 then 20 then 10 then he stopped.
4. Why didn't he continue to intercede for Lot? Why did he quit?
C. Have we quit praying too soon?
1. Have we ever given up on God? I don't mean backsliding…just giving up on believing that God can answer our prayers!
2. I believe God could have spared that wicked city if Abraham hadn't given up.
3. Don't quit praying for those that you care about!
4. God is not willing that any should perish!
5. Perhaps you have been praying for years and haven't seen the answer yet ... Don't quit!
6. God delights in answering our prayers!
II. Don't Quit In Service.
A. We need to Persevere in Service
1. To persist in a state, enterprise, or undertaking in spite of counter influences, opposition, or discouragement.
2. That means that even though things may get rough and the world may be against you, Don't quit!
3. Paul said if God be for us who can be against us?
B. Peter quit too soon, he didn't persevere in his service for God.
Joh 21:3 Simon Peter saith unto them, I go a fishing. They say unto him, We also go with thee. They went forth, and entered into a ship immediately; and that night they caught nothing.
1. Jesus had been crucified, buried, and resurrected.
2. The disciples had received the new commission "as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you." cf Jn 20:21
3. But Peter decided it was time to go back to fishing!
4. He had been called from his fishing boat to follow Jesus in the beginning.
5. Jesus used an object lesson to teach Peter the importance of this new commission.
Joh 21:5-6 Then Jesus saith unto them, Children, have ye any meat? They answered him, No. And he said unto them, Cast the net on the right side of the ship, and ye shall find. They cast therefore, and now they were not able to draw it for the multitude of fishes. 6. Jesus was teaching Peter that He had called him to be a fisher of men…and that he couldn't go back!
C. Have we given up on what God wants us to do?
1. Perhaps you feel that it doesn't matter, Don't quit!
2. Maybe you feel that someone else could do the job better, Don't quit!
3. Perhaps you are just getting tired, Don't quit!
Isa 40:31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
III. Don't Quit in Love.
A. Love for the lost.
1. I know that it is hard to keep loving the lost, but we must remember where we were when Jesus saved us!
2. I am thankful that the Lord didn't give up on me and that Christians didn't quit loving me!
3. When the time comes when this church no longer cares about people hearing the Gospel, and then love them to Christ -- then we ought to close our doors!
B. Don't quit loving one another.
Joh 13:34-35 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.
1. Jesus is our example in everything, especially in love! "…as I have loved you…"
2. In receiving and in forgiving.
Ro 15:7 Wherefore receive ye one another, as Christ also received us to the glory of God.
Col 3:13 Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.
3. We need each other, we can't make it alone!
4. Don't quit loving one another.
C. Don't quit loving God's Word.
1. It gives light and understanding.
Ps 119:130 The entrance of thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple.
2. It cleanses us when applied.
Ps 119:9 Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word.
3. It preserves and protects.
Ps 119:11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
4. It strengthens us.
Ps 119:28 My soul melteth for heaviness: strengthen thou me according unto thy word.
5. It brings us peace.
Ps 119:165 Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.
Don't quit! Someone once said, "If Columbus had turned back no one would have blamed him; but no one would have remembered him either." The margin between success and failure is often determined by one's decision not to quit. Success and failure are relative terms. What might be termed a failure by the world's standards may be a glowing success in God's eyes. Don't quit praying, don't quit serving, and don't quit loving.
If you are here this morning and you have never placed your faith in Christ, may I invite you to come today, trust the Lord, and accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior? He hasn't quit loving you…and He won't! Come to Him today!
2Pe 3:9 The Lord is … is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.