The Bible speaks of the danger of God's people forgetting:
PSA. 59:11 "SLAY THEM NOT, LEST MY PEOPLE FORGET: SCATTER THEM BY THY POWER; AND BRING THEM DOWN, O LORD OUR SHIELD."
This refers to enemies that God rose up against David, so the people would remember God. God will raise up enemies so we will remember. God gives some other Scriptures that are warnings about forgetting Him.
(DEU 4:9) "ONLY TAKE HEED TO THYSELF, AND KEEP THY SOUL DILIGENTLY, LEST THOU FORGET THE THINGS WHICH THINE EYES HAVE SEEN, AND LEST THEY DEPART FROM THY HEART ALL THE DAYS OF THY LIFE: BUT TEACH THEM THY SONS, AND THY SONS' SONS;"
(PSA 106:13) "THEY SOON FORGAT HIS WORKS; THEY WAITED NOT FOR HIS COUNSEL:"
(PSA 106:21) "THEY FORGAT GOD THEIR SAVIOUR, WHICH HAD DONE GREAT THINGS IN EGYPT;"
There are some very powerful and frightful instructions in this passage of Scripture. In Deuteronomy 6, we have some things that we ought to remember. What are some things that we ought to remember?
I. Remember Our Requirements as A Child of God. Deut. 6:4-9
A. Hear The Lord.
"HEAR, O ISRAEL: THE LORD OUR GOD IS ONE LORD:"
1. There is power in listening.
a. We need to listen to the Lord.
b. We can learn and be benefited much more by listening than we can by talking.
c. "Be still and know that I am God". cf Ps. 46:10a
B. LOVE THE LORD. V15
"AND THOU SHALT LOVE THE LORD THY GOD WITH ALL THINE HEART, AND WITH ALL THY SOUL, AND WITH ALL THY MIGHT."
1. Heart, Soul, and Might
2. Physically, mentally and spiritually
3. Head, Heart and with our body.
C. Instruct The Family. Vs. 7,
"AND THOU SHALT TEACH THEM DILIGENTLY UNTO THY CHILDREN, AND SHALT TALK OF THEM WHEN THOU SITTEST IN THINE HOUSE, AND WHEN THOU WALKEST BY THE WAY, AND WHEN THOU LIEST DOWN, AND WHEN THOU RISEST UP."
1. We need to make the Word of God the center of our family.
2. The Bible and the things of God should be the center of our conversation.
3. We should meditate on the Word of God.
4. The home, not the church, is to be the center of all our Bible Training
D. Apply The Word. Vs. 8-9
"AND THOU SHALT BIND THEM FOR A SIGN UPON THINE HAND, AND THEY SHALL BE AS FRONTLETS BETWEEN THINE EYES. AND THOU SHALT WRITE THEM UPON THE POSTS OF THY HOUSE, AND ON THY GATES."
1. Bind and write and memorize and meditate on the Word of God.
2. Physical reminders can remind us, as it did the children of Israel.
3. Prayer lists, prayer cards, and other reminders help us to remember.
II. Remember Our Resources Come from God Deut. 6:10-11
A. God Is The Source Of All Resources.
1. God gives us everything that we have.
2. We have nothing without God giving it to us.
3. We will never have anything else unless God supplies it.
(1 COR 4:7) "FOR WHO MAKETH THEE TO DIFFER FROM ANOTHER? AND WHAT HAST THOU THAT THOU DIDST NOT RECEIVE? NOW IF THOU DIDST RECEIVE IT, WHY DOST THOU GLORY, AS IF THOU HADST NOT RECEIVED IT?"
B. We Own Nothing.
1. When a person comes to realize that he owns nothing he is a better person.
2. We brought nothing into this world, and we will take nothing with us.
3. To be a happy person, we must realize that we own nothing.
4. To be a contented person, we must realize that we own nothing.
C. We Are Here To Take Care Of What Belongs To God.
(PSA 24:1) "A PSALM OF DAVID. THE EARTH IS THE LORD'S, AND THE FULNESS THEREOF; THE WORLD, AND THEY THAT DWELL THEREIN."
1. We are to be stewards.
2. We are to be trustees.
3. We are to be caretakers.
4. The question is, what kind of a steward and trustee and caretaker are we?
III. Remember Our Redemption Is of God.
(DEU 6:12) "THEN BEWARE LEST THOU FORGET THE LORD, WHICH BROUGHT THEE FORTH OUT OF THE LAND OF EGYPT, FROM THE HOUSE OF BONDAGE."
A. Our Redeemer Is The Lord.
1. God is the only One that can redeem us.
2. Jesus is the only One worthy to redeem us from our sins.
3. Salvation is free, but Jesus paid the price.
4. Jesus paid our sin debt.
B. Israel Was Delivered From Egypt By God.
1. Israel was a salve in Egypt.
2. Israel had been under bondage for 400 years.
3. In the Bible, Egypt represents Sin and bondage.
4. Israel was delivered from this bondage by means of the Passover Lamb.
5. There was a plan for this deliverance and redemption. Exodus 12.
a. The unblemished lamb was slain with a sharp knife to the throat.
b. The blood was shed.
c. Its blood was shed on the door posts.
d. The death angel came and passed over the ones that had the blood applied.
6. Jesus Christ is our Passover lamb .
(EPH 1:7) "IN WHOM WE HAVE REDEMPTION THROUGH HIS BLOOD, THE FORGIVENESS OF SINS, ACCORDING TO THE RICHES OF HIS GRACE;"
7. We should never forget that Jesus redeemed us from our sins.
IV. Remember the Rewards for Serving God
(DEU 6:18) "AND THOU SHALT DO THAT WHICH IS RIGHT AND GOOD IN THE SIGHT OF THE LORD: THAT IT MAY BE WELL WITH THEE, AND THAT THOU MAYEST GO IN AND POSSESS THE GOOD LAND WHICH THE LORD SWARE UNTO THY FATHERS,"
A. God Promised The Land That Floweth With Milk And Honey.
1. This had been a long awaited promise.
2. They had heard about the land of promise for years.
3. They had passed it along from Generation to Generation.
4. God's promises are always made good.
5. They may take a while, but they are good.
6. They are guaranteed; that is the only real guarantee that we have.
B. God Promises Us Heaven One Day.
1. I do not know everything that there is to know about Heaven.
2. I do know that I want to go there.
3. I know that I want to take as many people as I can with me when I go.
4. The word Heaven appears 582 times in 550 different verses.
5. It tells us of a place of eternity.
a. This is not an automatic inheritance.
b. It is a place for those that have made reservations.
c. We need to remember that we must make arrangements.
C. Remember The Rewards Are For Those That Deserve Rewards.
1. No one deserves to go to Heaven.
2. It is by the grace of God that anyone gets to go to Heaven.
3. Christ's rejecters will not enter into the Kingdom of Heaven.
4. Only those that have applied the blood will enter in.
V. REMEMBER HIS RETURN
A. Are you ready for His Return?
B. Are you ready for Him?
C. If He comes today, are you ready?
We need reminders. When we get into the car, our buzzer tells us to fasten the seat belt. We all need reminders. Today we remember the freedom we have in this country because of the sacrifice that others made on our behalf. We also need to remember the sacrifice that God made in giving His Son, Jesus, to die on Calvary that we might have eternal life.