As we come to the close of another year, we have mixed emotions. We have some sorrow over events that have taken place in our lives. Failures that we wish hadn't happened. Fewer successes than we would have hoped to have. But along with these there is excitement about what will come in the New Year!
The traditional symbols of this time of year are the old man and the new baby. It is a way of illustrating the past and the future. The future is filled with all the hope of a newborn baby. So much promise…so many possibilities…so much to look forward to!
So what can we truly count on in 2004? Well let me give you some negatives first, and then I want to draw your attention to some positives.
Read: Deuteronomy 31:1-8
"Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the LORD thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee." 
I. His Knowledge Never Fails
Job 36:7 He withdraweth not his eyes from the righteous: but with kings are they on the throne; yea, he doth establish them for ever, and they are exalted.
A. He knows EVERY sorrow
B. He knows EVERY stress
C. He knows EVERY sin
Heb 4:13 Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.
II. His Compassion Never Fails
Lamentations 3:22 It is of the LORD'S mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.
A. He hurts whenever we hurt
1. We all understand how this works.
2. When those we love are hurting, we are hurting right along with them.
3. This morning, if you are saved, you are part of His body; therefore, a part of Him.
4. And when you hurt, know that He hurts and cares for you!
B. He hears whenever we call
1Pe 3:12 For the eyes of the Lord are over the righteous, and his ears are open unto their prayers: but the face of the Lord is against them that do evil.
C. He helps whenever we are in danger
1. He was there to protect Daniel from the lions.
2. He was there to lift Peter from the waves.
3. He was there to deliver Paul time and time again.
4. He will be there for us, protecting us from dangers that we face each day.
Joh 10:27-29, "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand."
Ps 91:2 I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.
III. His Power Never Fails
Psalms 73:26 My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever.
Isaiah 26:4 Trust ye in the LORD for ever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength:
A. He has the power to save us!
1. If you have never trusted in the shed blood of Christ for salvation…
2. Understand that the blood of Christ has never lost its power to save!
3. Whether young or old, rich or poor, regardless of all our differences…we all need to be saved!
4. The gospel message when understood and accepted still has the power to save souls!
Ro 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
Heb 7:25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.
B. He has power for every task
Ephesians 3:20 Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us,
1. There will be plenty of times in the coming year that we will think we simply cannot go on…
2. We will be tempted to quit because of the task before us…
3. But He is the Almighty - Omnipotent God of the Universe…
4. He has the power we need to face whatever may come our way in the next year!
C. He has power for every trial
1. Trials will come…We know that!
2. But we are assured that along with the trials that we will face will come the power to endure!
Psalms 37:39 But the salvation of the righteous is of the LORD: he is their strength in the time of trouble.
3. Sometimes the Lord protects from trials.
4. Often the Lord protects us with trials.
5. But He always protects us through trials.
IV. His Word Never Fails
1 Kings 8:56 Blessed be the LORD, that hath given rest unto his people Israel, according to all that he promised: there hath not failed one word of all his good promise, which he promised by the hand of Moses his servant.
A. We can count on His promise of deliverance
Ac 16:31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
B. We can also count on His promise of condemnation.
Joh 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
Re 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
C. We can count on His promise of direction.
1. Through His Word.
Ps 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
2. By the Holy Spirit.
Joh 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
3. All we must do is trust Him.
Pr 3:5-6, "Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths."
So what can we count on in 2004? We can count on the Lord. Knowing that …
Christian, are you faithfully resting upon God and His promises to us? Trusting Him to lead us every step of the way? Following Him in obedience? If not, will you come this morning and commit the coming year to Him?
Friends, do you know Him as your personal Savior today? I can think of no better way to end one year and begin another, than to place your trust in God…come to the cross today…come to the Savior! He is waiting for you to come.