MVP… when we hear those three letters put together, they usually mean one thing to us. Someone who has excelled in some sort of team sporting event. How would you like to be an MVP? It is possible. More than possible, it is necessary! Not for the success of some sports endeavor, but for the greatest endeavor of all…reaching this world for Christ. This morning we heard from Shelly Henderson. She has determined to become an MVP. MVP = Most Valuable Person.
We can all become MVP's if we will determine to do so. It has to do with sharing the Most Valuable Product = the Word of God.
(John 6:35) And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.
Some are convinced that God could never use them…that they could never become MVP's, but that simply isn't true! In our text this morning we find some individuals who may not have known a lot of things…but they knew the important things!
Give background to text… Read: Acts 4:5-14
They are described as 'ignorant and unlearned'. Perhaps that was true from the world's perspective, but as far as the Lord was concerned they were MVP's. They serve as examples for each of us this morning, and remind us that we can become MVP's for the Lord. They were 'ignorant and unlearned' but they knew the important things…
I. They Knew the Savior
A. They had been with Jesus
1. This speaks of a relationship, not just a casual meeting.
2. They were men of varying backgrounds, but all that changed when they met Jesus.
3. That is the way it works…when Jesus comes into our lives things change.
4. This morning if you know Jesus…if you have a personal relationship with Him…then things have changed for you!
B. The world needs people who have been with Jesus
1. Many know about science, but few know the Savior
2. Many know about mathematics, but few know about the Master
3. Many know about space, but few know about Grace
4. Many know about politics, hut few know about God's plan
5. Many know about psychology, but few know the One who solves all problems
6. The world needs people who have been with Jesus!
C. The knew the power of knowing Jesus
(Acts 4:10) Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.
a. They clearly understood the power of the name of Jesus…He changed them and they knew He could change others.
b. They couldn't offer the lame man any medical help…
c. They didn't have any money to give him…
d. But they gave him something far more valuable…
e. They shared the Savior with him.
f. Sometimes, folks think they need this or that, but what they really need is to know Jesus!
II. They Knew the Scriptures
(Acts 4:11) This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.
A. The world in which we now live has more knowledge and understanding about things than ever before.
1. But they are no closer to God…
2. Our own Indiana University began as a seminary…but now look at it!
3. Most great universities in America were founded to teach the Bible
B. These men were not OT scholars
1. These were common laborers…fishermen.
2. But now they are quoting and accurately applying the Scripture.
(Psalms 118:22) The stone which the builders refused is become the head stone of the corner.
3. This is one of the reasons that the priests of the day were so amazed.
4. Their knowledge of the Scripture equipped them to serve.
5. The apostle Paul would later identify that Rock as Christ.
III. They Knew Salvation
(Acts 4:12) Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
A. 'Salvation' is an important word
1. To Noah, the ark meant salvation while others perished
2. To Israel at the Red Sea: ''Stand still and see the salvation of the Lord''
3. To Jonah salvation came about through the belly of the whale
4. The word simply means 'deliverance'
B. People are trapped by problems and perplexed with no answers.
1. They need deliverance…they need salvation
2. They need Jesus!
3. These 'unlearned and ignorant' men knew the salvation of the Lord.
4. They were willing to tell others…even if it meant persecution!
C. The Lord has called us to be salt and light.
(Matthew 5:13-16) Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men. Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
1. As 'salt' we are to be an influence in this world.
2. As 'light' we are to dispel the darkness.
3. These men could tell people how to get rid of the problem of sin.
4. These men could tell people how to get to heaven.
5. As a result they were MVP's
In much the same way, you and I can become MVP's as well. Most Valuable People sharing the Most Valuable Product … salvation through Jesus Christ. How?
It may be that the need in your life this morning is to get to know Jesus personally. You have never come to Him by faith and received this salvation. Come today…do not delay.
Christian, are you an MVP? Why not come this morning and re-commit your life to the Lord. Determine that you will make a difference for all eternity.
Whatever the need, the invitation is for you to come to Jesus.