Do you know the difference between *insurance* and *assurance* ? Nearly all of us have an insurance policy. The policy is insurance to assure us that we will be taken care of in case of a problem. The insurance remains in effect as long as we pay the premiums on the policy. However, if we don't make the payments, the policy is canceled, and we no longer will be protected.
Assurance, on the other hand, is not based upon the payment of premiums, but on the fact that all the premiums have already been paid. Assurance is better than insurance, because we cannot default and thereby cancel the assurance. *Insurance* can be likened to works. *Assurance* to grace.
Let us see in what ways does God give us assurance:
I. FIRM ASSURANCE IS DEPENDENT UPON GOD'S WORD.
A. Notice, I said *firm* assurance.
1. We can have firm assurance, because we can trust the Word of God.
“We have also a more sure word of prophecy ... For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.” (2 Pet 1:21)
a. The Bible has withstood every test ever applied to it;
b. It has proven to be historically accurate;
c. It has proven to be prophetically accurate;
d. It has proven to be geographically accurate;
e. There is no other document that you can base your faith upon, because no other document is inspired.
2. God's Word describes who God is and what His plan is.
“Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.” (John 5:39)
B. Our assurance becomes even more firm when we personally know God.
1. If you want your faith to be rock-solid, then read God's Word:
a. it introduces you to HIM!
b. It gives you the minute details of WHO He is; His love, grace, forgiveness...
c. it tells us what He will do with us...
2. Note: Romans 10:17
“So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.”
II. FIRM ASSURANCE IS BASED ON GOD'S PROMISES.
A. What are some of His promises?
1. We are promised salvation.
2. He has promised that we will not suffer the wrath of God.
3. We have been promised eternal life.
“That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.” (John 3:15)
4. We will live for eternity in a sinless condition.
5. We have been promised a home in heaven which will be far greater than this earth.
B. How can we be assured that we will receive these promises?
1. Because He has been faithful to His promises in the past.
“And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform.” (Rom 4:21)
2. In this world of lying and cheating, God's promises shine like a beacon to the world: they scream out: TRUST ME!!
3. As to His very nature, God is incapable of reneging on a promise!
“In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;” (Titus 1:2)
4. We can be more than confident of His promises, we can be ASSURED!
III. FIRM ASSURANCE IS BASED ON CHRIST'S RESURRECTION.
A. Man's greatest fear has been taken away.
1. Our greatest fear is dying.
a. Our greatest fear is that this existence will end, and there will be nothing to replace it.
b. Our greatest fear is that after death we will no longer see anything; touch anything; smell anything; love anyone...feel pleasure...
2. But Jesus has replaced that fear with an ASSURANCE.
a. He has promised us that whosoever liveth and believeth in Him, SHALL NEVER DIE! cf Jn. 11:26
b. Let me ask you what He asked His listeners: "do you believe this?"
c. Do you really trust Him enough this morning to stake your life on it?
B. The greatest assurance that we have is that Jesus walked out of that tomb!
1. All fear melts at this point...
2. Jesus defeated death...and He promised to come back for you and me...
3. He will not leave us as orphans...
“Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.” (John 14:1-3)
Do you have assurance in Jesus, or insurance in a religion? Many Christians, thinking that they really trust Christ, instead trust their jobs. money, family and even their church for what they should be depending upon God. INSURANCE is available anywhere ... ASSURANCE is only available in Jesus!
Do you know Him today? Why not come and let us introduce you. Christian, are you fully assured of your faith? Are you trusting in the unfailing promises of a mighty God? Come today.