(1 Cor 9:22) "To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some."
The title of the message tonight comes from Paul's final thought in v22. "…By all means save some." There are two phrases here that we want to consider. "By all means" and "Save some".
The primary goal of this church is to reach the lost with the Gospel.
I. "By All Means "
A. What did it mean to Paul?
B. It meant preaching in public places
1. In synagogues and city squares, wherever he found himself and people who needed to hear the Gospel.
2. Paul was committed to this regardless of the consequences.
3. His first concern was not how this would impact him, but what it would mean to those who would receive Christ.
C. It meant testifying boldly to individuals
1. To prison inmates and the Philippian jailer (Acts 16:25-34)
2. To Felix, the judge who wanted "a more convenient season" (Acts 24:25)
3. To King Agrippa, who was almost persuaded but lost (Acts 26:28)
D. It meant using all of the available means of witness in order to reach people.
1. Most of us are too timid to this.
2. We are slow to identify with people who are different from us.
3. We need to get over our timidity that we might see some saved.
E. What "By All Means " Means to Us Today.
1. It means thinking of others all of the time.
2. It means being aware of the present and eternal needs of lost people
3. It means seeing people as God sees them
4. It means sowing continually
a. Giving out tracts and speaking to people about Christ
b. Watching for and seizing special openings to tell of God's love
c. Being alert for signs that people are hurting and open to receive a witness
5. It means reaping whenever possible
a. Presenting the gospel in love
b. Sensing the work of the Holy Spirit
c. Leading people to Christ
II. "Save Some"
A. Why 'save some'?
1. It is commanded in His Word.
a. "Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature" (Mark 16:15) "Ye shall be witnesses unto me" (Acts 1:8)
b. "Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved." (Acts 4:12)
2. It is the stated purpose of this ministry.
B. How do we 'save some'?
1. Paul was willing to become all things to all people to save some.
2. What about humanitarian aid?
3. Example of Jim Childress and others.
4. Feeding and clothing goals should be to save some.
5. Housing and educating goals should be to save some.
6. If we feed and clothe the physical and fail to meet the spiritual needs, what have we accomplished?
C. What are we doing to keep sinners from going to hell?
1. Are we involved in witnessing in any way?
2. Do we give out tracts? Share our testimony?
3. Do we pray for souls to be saved as a result of your witnessing?
4. How long has it been since you invited a lost person to church?