Today is Easter Sunday. To some that means baskets, eggs, and bunnies; but to the believer it means that Jesus Christ is alive! The songwriter said, 'Because He lives, I can face tomorrow'. That is so true, but he stopped short of describing the importance of knowing that we serve a living Savior. I want to share with you today at least three things that we can face 'Because He Lives'.
I. Because He lives... I can face life.
A. Jesus is the same yesterday, today, and forever.
1. There are only-three days that we need to concern ourselves with.
2. Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow.
3. Yesterday is gone and there is no need to fret about it because we cannot change it even if we tried to.
4. Tomorrow has not come, and may not come, so there is no reason to concern ourselves with it.
(PROV 27:1) "BOAST NOT THYSELF OF TO MORROW; FOR THOU KNOWEST NOT WHAT A DAY MAY BRING FORTH."
5. That only leaves one day and that is today:
(PSA 118:24) "THIS IS THE DAY WHICH THE LORD HATH MADE; WE WILL REJOICE AND BE GLAD IN IT."
B. I don't have to worry.
(MAT 6:25) "THEREFORE I SAY UNTO YOU, TAKE NO THOUGHT FOR YOUR LIFE, WHAT YE SHALL EAT, OR WHAT YE SHALL DRINK; NOR YET FOR YOUR BODY, WHAT YE SHALL PUT ON. IS NOT THE LIFE MORE THAN MEAT, AND THE BODY THAN RAIMENT?"
1. Whatever life's tragedies, Christ can give me the courage needed to face them and the victory!
(PHIL 4:13) "I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHICH STRENGTHENETH ME."
2. Not everything that happens to Christians is good, but God can use it for good.
(ROM 8:28) "AND WE KNOW THAT ALL THINGS WORK TOGETHER FOR GOOD TO THEM THAT LOVE GOD, TO THEM WHO ARE THE CALLED ACCORDING TO HIS PURPOSE."
II. Because He Lives... I can face death.
A. Those who boast they do not fear death.
1. It matters not how loud a person may declare that he does not fear death.
2. How that individual behaves when he faces death is the true test of whether or not he fears.
3. Near death one atheist cried out, "There is one thing that mars all the pleasure of my life. I am afraid the Bible is true. Here is what pierces my soul, if the Bible is true, I am lost forever!"
B. Those who have their faith in Christ.
1. No one truly yearns for death, but the Christian is so assured of eternal life that fear Is not a major factor.
2. Stephen could face death bravely knowing that Jesus would receive Him.
3. Paul said, "I am now ready to be offered and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith." 2 Tim. 4:6-7.
4. The difference is Jesus Christ, because He lives I can face life and I can face death.
III. Because He lives... I can face eternity.
A. Judgment is real
(HEB 9:27) "AND AS IT IS APPOINTED UNTO MEN ONCE TO DIE, BUT AFTER THIS THE JUDGMENT:"
1. Many would like to do away with hell and certain judgment, but it cannot be done.
2. Hell is as real as heaven!
3. Often the same verses that speak of tie blessings of eternal life also tell of the condemnation.
(JOHN 3:36) "HE THAT BELIEVETH ON THE SON HATH EVERLASTING LIFE: AND HE THAT BELIEVETH NOT THE SON SHALL NOT SEE LIFE; BUT THE WRATH OF GOD ABIDETH ON HIM."
(ROM 6:23) "FOR THE WAGES OF SIN IS DEATH; BUT THE GIFT OF GOD IS ETERNAL LIFE THROUGH JESUS CHRIST OUR LORD."
B. Jesus paid it all.
1. I can face eternity because I know that Jesus paid it all for me.
2. I would love to be able to stand here and tell you that everyone in the world will be going to heaven, but I can't.
3. The Bible tells me that in comparison there will be few that are saved.
(Mat 7:14) "Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it."
What about you this afternoon? Do you know Jesus as your personal Savior. Jesus is alive! Because He lives I can face life, death, and eternity!